Sorry no pictures, I'll post some tomorrow
When we traveled to China to get Sophie we were blessed with the most amazing travel group. There were 13 families that travel together. Of the the 13, 9 of our children came from the same orphanage, which is so wonderful, but all of us became family.
We have a private FB page so we can discuss openly things about our children, issues that may arise, encourage, and support each other and really just get to watch each other's children grow and blossom. Its been wonderful. We also decided that we needed to actually get together at least once a year. This year is Atlanta...in August!
After much discussion BJ and I decided that Sophie and would drive (its like 13 hours) so I wouldn't have to worry too much about packing. Yeah the Mini is small but its so much better then trying to carry all this crap on an airplane. Plus we figured if Sophie go fussy or needed to get out and run around we could stop. I also really like driving, especially cross country. However whether I flew or drove I knew I was going to need extra hands, so my wonderful nephew Bren is along for the ride (and to be my pack mule : )
We left Wisconsin yesterday morning and after a quick stop at the Starbucks were on our way. Have I mentioned that Illinois is a ridiculously long and boring state? It was actually a great drive. Sophie did awesome, yeah she watched a ton of Yo Gabba Gabba but still she's quite the traveler. Bren sat in the back for part of the trip keeping Sophie giggling then moved to the front to keep me company. We stopped in Kentucky after a short detour to an outlet mall to look for Stride Rite shoes for Sophia. Hey my girl loves shoes!
This morning we didn't rush to much, got a little lost trying to find a Starbucks but were well on our way by 10a. We had planned a quick stop in Nashville to see BJ's cousin (who is always so wonderful to see), then back on the road to Atlanta.
We had planned on getting in about 6:30p but of course I completely forgot about the time change so though my timing was right but it was actually 7:30p.
We caught up with 3 or our families and though it was quick cause all of us were tired and the girls were exhausted it was so great to see them. I have to laugh a little, when we walked up to two of Sophies "sisters" my outgoing, chatty, happy baby turned shy! She looked at the girls and clung to me. When she did let me put her down she wouldn't let go of my dress and even hid behind me. It was a little strange but at least she wasn't upset.
We have no idea if the girls remember each other. And if they did how that would look. They are after all babies and don't have the words to express memories. It will be interesting tomorrow when we actually get to spend time together to see how the kids do. Either way it is so important that they become friends.
I want Sophie to not just know that we aren't the only family that looks like this but I want her to have friends that share her history and have common lives.
Tomorrow promises to fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment